Saturday, July 26, 2008

Support

I was worried about this. I thought that people were going to think I was crazy to try again. I was really worried about work. When I told my supervisor what I wanted to do she was all for it. I had some issues with the first room that they offered me to pump in. So she brought it up in a meeting to get me a better place. So I now have an unused office that I use three times a day. It will be four times a day once I switch to working four 10 hour days in place of my five 8 hour days. This means that I will have one more full day to work with my son on breastfeeding. When I found out about this I was as happy as can be. The fact that my supervisor was so proud of me meant a lot. I think it means more than even she realizes.

Now there have been some negative comments. Such as when I told my co-worker that I was going to be working on my supply. He response, "you aren't trying to breastfeed again are you?" I just told her yes and left it at that. Then one of the other mothers at work, who had a baby boy too, told me not to worry about it. She has come around. She asks me how it is going every time she sees me. She had supply issues and is no longer breastfeeding. I think she made it to 6 months. But I have to realize that there are going to be negative comments and I have to let them go.

Now as far as family goes, I haven't told them all. A lot of them think it is wonderful and are on the fence at the same time. They are just worried about me. They don't want me to run myself into the ground trying. They are all just trying to be supportive in their own way...even if I don't always see it that way. But now that they see things are going so well where my supply is, they are more on board with it. But there are still the why can't you just pump comments. Can you tell it was a man that said that...one that doesn't understand the breastfeeding bond. I love my husband dearly...but he just doesn't get it sometimes. He is getting there though. He really is trying to understand what I am going through and why. And that is really all I ask.

Then there are my online friends. The support, advice, help...the list goes on is just over flowing. They really help to give me the strength I need in order to achieve my goal. I will never be able to think them enough. They are the reason I am writing this blog. They told me to tell my story so I am. I just hope that my words are able to help others the way their words help me.

So I have the majority of the help I need. This leads me to the helping hands that I need. This brings me to the good lactation consultant...

1 comment:

Amber said...

I am so proud of you Monique. More than you could ever know. (((hugs)))