Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Good Lactation Consultant

This woman is truly amazing. She helped us as much as she could my last day in the hospital as well as my son's last day in the hospital. She took the time and sat with all of us to make sure I felt comfortable with what I was doing. She acted like I was her first priority. It made me feel like I knew what I was doing and that everything was going to be alright. I was so stressed over his weight and she made me forget. Plus the fact that he was packing the weight back on as soon as my milk came in!

She also taught the breastfeeding class I took before my son was born. She did a wonderful job. We had these plastic babies and she made sure we all positioned properly. She was very attentive and walking around the class the whole time. She wanted to make sure we all got off to the best start possible. If only she had been on call my first weekend. I am going to call her when we have baby #2 and make sure she is there to help me!

So after I went home and had problems I made the mistake of not calling her. I didn't think she would have come out to my house. I just didn't see that as an option. Thing is, she makes it an option. She wants breastfeeding to work for everyone and is willing to do what is needed to make it happen. I have learned this one the hard way.

I finally got the courage up to contact her after not saying boo for months. So on Tuesday, July 8, 2008 I sent her an e-mail letting her know what happened and what I wanted to do. She called me the next day and APOLOGIZED for not being able to call me the day before (she was off that day). She talked with me for about 10 minutes on the phone and then told me to come over there and talk to her for a while so we can make a plan.

On Wednesday, July 9, 2008 we started our plan. She said for me to switch to NUK nipples. They are the most like mothers breasts in the mouth. She said for me to pump at least 8 times a day. This weekend you are going to pump EVERY two hours. We want to get your supply up. And offer the breast to your son when he is hungry. We want to get your nipples as much stimulation as possible. On Monday, bring your son in and we will talk and plan the next week.

I continued to pump at least 8 times a day. I tried to offer him the breast every time he was hungry. All he would do is put it in his mouth and talk to it or sit there. He really didn't get it. He didn't remember that is where the food comes from. I would even express some and he would look at me like you want me to do what?

Then on Thursday...he got his first two teeth in. I thought this would wait until six months...nope! He was four months and 9 days old! So on Saturday I got him to latch on and then he bit me a few times. I switched sides and he refused. From this point forward I now have teething working against me. But I will not be given anything I can't handle. We will make it past this hurtle too!

On Monday we went in to see the lactation consultant. She talked with me about how things were going. We played with the baby and tried to get him to breastfeed. He wasn't having it he kept refusing the breast. So I got the bottle out. She showed me how to try to feed him in more of a breastfeeding position.

For the next week I was to work on skin-to-skin, taking baths with him, and use the lactation aid with the nipple shield since he wants the plastic right now. I was to fill the nipple with milk before latching him. So each time I tried it he would scream his head off and start flailing all over. It was a very frustrating week. I would sing to him, play with him, and kiss all over him to try to keep BOTH of us calm. It is really hard work. I know that it is and will continue to be. I had just thought I might get one good day! But I didn't.

I didn't get a chance to contact the lactation consultant until this past Wednesday. I wrote her to let her know how the weekend went. She is at the National Lactation Conference. She will be back on Tuesday. She told me to keep trying with just the nipple shield since my supply is going up so much. She said that she has some more things she wants to try. She is also going to tell them about my situation and see if they can give some more help. She is helping me so much. It means the world to me that she is doing all this for me and my son!

So this weekend I have tried every chance I get to get him to take the breast. It is an uphill battle. He keeps refusing the breast. He has had months of a bottle where all he needs to do is swallow and is now being asked to suck and swallow for his food. I don't know about you, but I think most people would want to do what is easiest. But I will not give up and I cannot force him or I will be back behind square one!

I need to take things slow and stay confident that Kenneth will get it soon! I really want to do this for my son and for myself. And if my story is able to help others, then that is just the icing on the cake. I do want to show that it will work. I want to be one of the mothers that says that I struggled and made it. I NEVER gave up!

No comments: