Sunday, July 27, 2008

HE NURSED!!!!!

Now to talk about the little success that I had on July 9, 2008 around 3:30 AM. He had about an oz. left in his 4 oz. bottle. He was being a little fidgety and so I took the bottle away. And gave him a boob. He latched on to each of them for at least a minute. Well he was off and on them. I don't know if he got anything out and I know he didn't have the greatest latch...but I didn't care. He was back at the breast. I thought I was going to cry. I held it back though. I didn't want him to think I was sad. So I talked with him and kissed his little face and head like crazy. And he didn't need the nipple shield!!!

I didn't get a picture of the happy moment. There had been times before that where he latched for a second. But this was my biggest success so far. I am able to keep that in my mind and know that it will be a daily occurrence for us and not just an every now and then event. I cannot wait until it seems like all we do is breastfeed together. I wish I could be one of those moms that can complain about how much her child wants to be at the breast. I wish I was loosing sleep to nurse him rather than the pump! I know my day will come. I just wish that day was today!

On July 12, 2008 he latched with the nipple shield. After he bit me I decided to use it to be safe. I don't want to ruin all the progress if he injures me and I have to take a break due to pain. My husband was there to watch as well. It was so nice. I told him to get the camera. He flew down the stairs and back up them. So I now have a picture to look at as a constant reminder that this can work and this will work. I am able to see what I have accomplished.

Now since then it seems like all I have done is take steps back where nursing is concerned. I can only get him to bite. He keeps rejecting my breasts. This is why I need help. I don't know what else to do. I do the skin-to-skin and offer him the breast as much as I can. There are other things too. All I know is that I am not going to give up. I love my son and I want to do what is best for both of us.

I think this catches everything up. From now on my updates will be more timely. I hope that they are all happy ones. I really want my story to be an inspiration to myself and others. I want to prove to myself that I can do anything I put my mind to and I want to show others that this is an obtainable goal. I just don't know how soon I am going to be able to prove this. Soon I hope...



1 comment:

Crissy Hagan said...

I know how much you're struggled and I just have to say that, the picture of you and he ... makes me a little weepy...

You're totally an amazing Mommy!