Tuesday, April 13, 2010

CRUSHED: Home birth is out thanks to insurance

I am completely crushed right now! In one day I went from thinking that I was finally going to get my home water birth to despising my insurance that has never let me down until this year!

I talked with my husband more about a home birth. He has never been serious about the talk until today. So I never knew how he really felt about it due to all of the jokes. Today he told me as long as it is safe, he is all for it. That he could do without sleeping in the hospital chairs. I of course let it all go to my head. I was planning everything out. Trying to think what room would be best to birth in. My mind was going wild with the possibilities. This is something that I have always dreamed of and never thought would happen due to support.

I was celebrating too soon though. The only way we could swing it is if insurance would cover most of it. For a hospital birth, I only need to pay $300 and insurance will cover everything else. And you want to know what they will cover for a home birth... NOTHING! I have been crying for the last hour because of wonderful Southern Health.

Thanks for crushing my dreams!

I need to move on though and try to stay positive. I need to make the best of what I do have. Can I just win a small Virginia lotto :/

1 comment:

Amber said...

Does your insurance company have special authorization forms? Can you go in and talk to someone who's not a mindless drone who only spits back at you what's in the rules and regulations? Don't give up just yet. It's in their best interest to cover home birth. After all, it's much less costly for them. Someone might be willing to listen.