Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Is a home birth in our future?

I am now 17 weeks along. I have all kinds of questions going through my head. I really want to have a VBAC. I think a natural birth will also help with breastfeeding. I want as little intervention as possible. And the more I think about, the more I am not sure a hospital birth is right for me.

We are only about 5-10 minutes from the hospital if there is no traffic. I really wish there was a birth center here in Charlottesville. I believe there was at one time. So my only real options are home or hospital. If I am in the hospital, I want to make sure I have a doula I trust. I had the perfect one picked out. She is most likely full in September though. She is waiting on someone to get their contract in. I really hope they don't so that I can get her last spot. She seems wonderful. I will be starting in her child birth class next Wednesday. I believe it is going to be held at the midwife office that I am looking at if I do go with a home birth.

I really started to think hard about a home birth at my last OBGYN appointment last Wednesday. The doctor I was seeing that time is the same one that I saw after my section. And as soon as he walked in my heart started to race and not in a good way. It really made me freak out. It brought back bad memories of what happened with Kenneth. He was born healthy and I am so thankful for that. I just wish that everyone, including myself, had trusted my body a little more.

The only thing that is holding me back is money. A hospital birth will cost me $300. If I get the doula I want, it will be another $500. A home birth will cost me at least $3000. I don't think my insurance will cover any of it. So I might try to sell off some of the things we have in the house to fund this. A little Spring cleaning!

I still really need to talk it over with my husband and see where we stand. I think our family will be against it all the way. And so I am just worried. I just want things to work out for the best. And I just don't know what is best right now.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Start digging through your insurance policy and see what it really says. You never know....they might cover a home birth! It's in their best interest to do so. Even if they don't cover it, you can likely appeal. Also, many midwives will offer payment plans and such, so that the cost is spread out for you.

I'm so excited for you Monique! I cannot wait for you to get your VBAC!

MommyHopeful3 said...

I know I need to. What is wonderful is that the MW group I am looking at will process the claims for you. And they do have payment plans. I am going to meet with them and find out what luck they have had with Southern Health. I just wish the insurance companies would watch BOBB so that they would realize they would SAVE money by sending us home to birth rather than to a hospital.

I would love to have a home water birth...I really would!