Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Freezer Stash

I think I am going to have to start a freezer stash! WOW! Those are words I never thought I would say. It just amazes me how I have been able to get my supply back. I feel blessed. I haven't needed to make a single bottle of formula in over a week. The refrigerator is over stocked with bottles of breast milk ready to go.

As odd as it sounds I am nervous about starting a freezer stash. I am scared that I will put away to much and somehow ruin it. I know it is crazy. I am just overly protective of my milk. I had to work hard for it and the only place I want it to go is Kenneth's tummy.

On a semi side note...he hasn't gotten sick in almost 3 weeks! This is very rare for him. While he was on formula, he was sick every other week. Now if only breast milk could help with teething.

We haven't had much luck with breastfeeding. I think a lot of the problem right now is that he is teething and doesn't know what is going on. I want to get some good books and DVDs with pictures of babies breastfeeding. Maybe if he sees it he will get the hang of it faster. He is 5.5 months old now. I am not looking forward to the 6 month mark. I just don't want him to take to solids more than breast milk and mess with our future breastfeeding relationship.

I know a lot of my fears are just that...fears. But they still creep up there and get me thinking. I just wish it could be easier. But nothing in life is. I just can't give up...

3 comments:

Ekaterina's blog said...

wow great job on your freezer stash! I was so inspired by your story (I was given a link to your blog on pregnancy.org) that am now too trying to relactate. When you have resumed your pumping, how many times a day have you pumped? Also, are you in any kind of medications for relacations? I am only taking fenugreek. Thanks!

Gilliebean said...

What a great thing, not having to give K formula in over a week! I'm sure he feels a lot better (despite the teething), too. You've done so great getting your milk supply back that I'm sure it'll be no time at all before he's off bottles, too.

Keep up the good work!

Amber said...

You're doing so awesome Monique! And definitely start that freezer stash if you're making more than he eats. I'm so proud of my little freezer stash. Just a word of advice: freeze the breast milk within 24 hours of pumping. The Gerber bags are awesome, because they have a ziplok type closure. Just squeeze out the air, zip it closed, then lay it flat in the freezer. When it's frozen, you can organize them in your deep freezer really easily. If you put them right in the bottom, it'll keep for 6-12 months.